Canadian Bible Society
This Giving Tuesday, please help provide hope to children with cancer in Nicaragua
Welcome to the Canadian Bible Society’s Giving Tuesday page! On November 29, 2016, CBS aims to raise $10,000 to support the Bible Society of Nicaragua’s Hope and Smiles for Children with Cancer.
Cancer is no respecter of persons. It affects any individual regardless of economic status, gender, or ethnic background. It does not exempt children either.
The state-run hospital, Manuel de Jesus Rivera Children’s Hospital – also known as La Mascota – in Nicaragua is a painful reminder of this fact. At this only public hospital in Nicaragua dedicated to treating children afflicted with cancer, doctors, nurses and volunteers at La Mascota receive over 6,000 children each month. And more children are being diagnosed –220 children each year, according to reports. Although treatment in La Mascota is free, it is often a challenge for families to get their children to the hospital as they can’t afford the transportation costs.
Apart from the physical trauma endured by children undergoing treatment, cancer also takes a huge emotional toll on families. Unfortunately, during the treatment, families who come from afar have to stay in Managua where the hospital is located, separating them from loved ones who could provide emotional support.
Since 2005 the Bible Society of Nicaragua – in partnership with Bible Societies around the world including the Canadian Bible Society – has helped such families at this critical time through the program Hope and Smiles for Children with Cancer.
How this program works
The program Hope and Smiles for Children with Cancer, supports children and families impacted by cancer by providing practical and emotional help through:
- >> Offering spiritual support by leading devotions four times a week and by praying for each family and listening to their fears and concerns.
- >> Providing Bibles to children and parents in the hospital.
- Consoling families whose children have lost the battle with cancer.
- >> Training pastors and volunteers for hospital ministry.
- >> Giving free Bibles to medical teams and inviting them to join in the devotions.
- >> Providing nutritious meals for the children undergoing treatment, and help with purchasing medicine.
- >> Providing meals for children and their families staying in a hostel close to the hospital.
We need your help now! Here’s how you can support children with cancer in Nicaragua, with the Canadian Bible Society
THE NEED: $10,000.00
The Canadian Bible Society, through partnership with the Bible Society of Nicaragua provides support to young cancer patients and their families. Your special GivingTuesday gift will make this possible. To support Hope and Smiles for Children with Cancer, please consider the following:
- >> $30 will help train 10 pastors and volunteers for hospital ministry.
- >> $75 will produce 375 Scripture leaflets containing words of encouragement from the Bible.
- >> $110 will provide Bibles to 15 children who are fighting cancer.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
For more information about the Hope and Smiles for Children with Cancer, please email [email protected] or call 1-800-465-2425.